Skip to main content

Burn Information

Backyard Burn Season is Closed.

Backyard Burn Seasons are March 1 to June 15 and October 1 to December 15.

Open burning for Estacada Rural Fire District No. 69 will remain the same while under the 18-month contract for services with Clackamas Fire District #1. There will be no change at this time. Please follow current Estacada Fire practices, noted below.

Immediately call 911 to report threatening fires.

Burning information is updated every morning at 8AM - call (503) 630-7714

Contact DEQ to report smoke complaints at (888)-997-7888

You must have a valid permit on file with the Estacada Rural Fire District No. 69 prior to any controlled burning. There is no fee for burning permits.

D.E.Q. has the authority under state law to prohibit open burning anywhere in the state on a day to day basis.

Always call the Fire District’s burning information line before you burn. Fires must be attended at all times until completely burned out or extinguished.

The Fire Chief or his authorized Deputy may revoke or suspend any permit whenever, in their judgment, any violation warrants such action.

The following materials are prohibited from being burned:

  • Rubber products
  • Tires; Plastic
  • Wet Garbage
  • Petroleum & petroleum-treated materials
  • Asphalt or industrial waste
  • Any material that creates dense smoke or noxious odors.


Types of Permits

Domestic/Backyard Permit: Yard debris (i.e. wood, needle or leaf material from trees, shrubs or plants). All materials should be dry and fire must be out by dark. Once domestic waste is removed from the property of origin, it becomes commercial waste. Your permit is valid as long as you live at the address. If you move or change your phone number, please call us or stop by our station to update our files.

This type of burning may be done in a burn barrel or pile.

Construction or Demolition Permit: Must be 3 air miles from city limits. Construction means any material actually resulting from or produced by a building or construction project (i.e. wood, lumber, paper, crating and packing materials used during construction, materials left after completion of construction and materials collected during clean-up of a construction site). Demolition means any material actually resulting from or produced by the complete or partial destruction or tearing down of any man-made structure or the clearing of site for land improvement or clean-up debris and agricultural waste.

Agriculture Permit: Agriculture operations means an activity on land currently used or intended to be used primarily for the purpose of obtaining a profit in money by raising, harvesting, and selling crops or by the raising and sale of livestock or poultry, or the produce thereof. It does not include the construction and use of dwellings customarily provided in conjunction with the agricultural operation.

Extended Permits 5 – 30 Day: (Land Clearing/Agricultural) Burning that will be ongoing for a longer period of time.  The following criteria must be met prior to burning:

  • No more than 2 or 3 piles burning at one time
  • Equipment on site and/or personnel
  • No adding to or stirring up fires 2 hours prior to darkness.
  • Special or circumventing weather conditions could cause permits to be revoked (i.e.: unforeseen fire hazard caused by hot-dry conditions or days of high winds).

Special hazard areas or forest reproduction contact Oregon Department of Forestry (503) 829-2216

Forest Management: Only the Oregon Department of Forestry can write these permits. True slash burning for the purpose of forest management. Slash means forest debris or woody vegetation to be burned under a smoke management plan (i.e.: Logging, etc.).

D.E.Q.: May provide letter permit (hardship) exceptions. These permits must be requested by the landowner directly to D.E.Q. at (503) 229-5393.

Burning Information is Updated Every Morning at 8AM

Call (503) 630-7714